The overhaul is coming via the "ZyWALL ZLD v2.20 firmware" upgrade for the ZyWALL USG series. USG is ZyXEL's 'brand' of Unified Threat Management (UTM) hardware. The updates free, and it ZyXEL notes that people who were privy to preview the upgrade have "Validated the firmware's easier deployment, unbeatable performance and low operating costs."
Quick rundown on ZyWALL and why firmware upgrades are important: ZyWALL is a deep packet inspector and a solid security solution for both the SMB and enterprises. ZyWALL also does firewall, anti-virus, intrusion detection, and a litany of other robust features that ZyXEL is proud of. An upgraded Web GUI refresh presents a cleaner, faster and more customizable dashboard with essentials organized, and prominent features are now prominently displayed, instead of being buried under layers of menus.
ZyXEL also wants to point out that End Point Security is now integrated with the new firmware and with anti-virus clients, enabling IT managers to throttle user access if their anti-virus or OS software isn't updated. Like noted above, there's also full support for the Windows 7 full-tunnel SSL VPN, v2.20, and ZyXEL says it's what making the ZyWALL "one of the industry’s most robust gateways."
ZyXEL is actually boasting "90 new and improved features" bu the ones you care about are listed here:
- Easier deployment via simplified UI.
- Improved routing architecture.
- Endpoint security support for anti-virus personal firewall software.
- Granular control over social networking applications to manage bandwidth consumption and increase employee productivity.
- Hybrid VPN capabilities for flexible and secure remote access.
- Enhanced VoIP quality for flexible VoIP deployments and IP PBX support.
- Comprehensive MS Active Directory integration.
Sign up for The VAR Guy’s Newsletter; Webcasts and Resource Center; and via RSS; Facebook; Identi.ca; Twitter and VARtweet.