VMware's software defined data center (SDDC) survey could allow the virtualization company to identify private cloud pain points that require relief.
1. Market Share: VMware is asking customers what hypervisors they are running (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, Oracle VM, Xen Server, Other).
2. Private Cloud Adoption: VMware wants to know if customers have private clouds yet within their enterprise.
3. Design: If you've got a private cloud, VMware wants to know if it offers self-service and chargeback capabilities.
4. SLA: Do you offer them and how are they monitored?
5. Automation Tools: VMware asks about scripting, orchestration and cloud management tools in use.
6. Provisioning: Here's a big one. VMware is trying to determine which portions of the business (storage, compute, network, legal, finance, etc.) require the most time for provisioning.
Armed with the data -- especially from area six -- VMware's goals are clear. The company is trying to pinpoint pain points that slow down or halt private cloud adoption.
Address the pain points, and perhaps VMware could help partners to profit even more from private clouds...