7. Money Matters: AVG Technologies, the consumer and small business anti-virus company, has inked a a five-year, $235 million lean to help fuel growth. Some MSPs use AVG's anti-virus engine with the Kaseya managed services platform.
6. iPad Security: Speaking of AVG, the company has launched anti-virus software for the iPad. And Symantec has introduced identity protection on the iPad. But is iPad security really an opportunity for channel partners?
5. Still Growing: Red Hat said its Q4 revenue grew 25 percent to $244.8 million, and total annual revenue for fiscal 2011 rose 22 percent to $909.3 million. The open source company has pushed beyond its Linux heritage to promote middleware (JBoss) and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV). Barring a surprise implosion, it looks like Red Hat will be the first open source company to generate $1 billion in sales in its fiscal 2012.
4. No Major Setbacks: When Synnex announced earnings on March 24, the distributor said its employees in Japan were safe. Moreover, Synnex suffered "nominal inventory and facility damage" from the recent earthquake and tsunami. For its Q1, Synnex said net income fell to $29.7 million, down from $34.7 million in Q1 last year. But Synnex earnings still beat analyst expectations. Meanwhile, The VAR Guy expects Synnex to share more details about its cloud channel partner strategy and managed services efforts at the Varnex Spring Conference (March 10-12, Boston) -- one of the top 100 channel conferences worth watching.
3. The Bigger Story?: While The VAR Guy and other bloggers focus on Microsoft's Office 365 cloud strategy, several readers say it's time to put a brighter spotlight on Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization. One well-known VAR in Texas says his Hyper-V business has tripled over the past 12 months.
2. In Case You Missed Them: Cisco Systems has published a list of channel partners honored at Cisco Partner Summit 2011 earlier this month in New Orleans.
1. Check the Headline: This remains at Top 6 list. always has been, always will be. So there is no number one.
Thanks for joining the conversation here on The VAR Guy. Our resident blogger appreciates your readership.